Carpentries next level - CodeRefinery model
Sabry Razick, 20-07-2020
What is next level ?
- Software carpentry is focused on providing basic skills needed to start going through a peer assisted learning pedagogy.
- Once these basics are mastered and start applying on real world scenarios a deeper knowledge of certain aspects is needed.
- These more advanced topics can not be directly appended to existing material
due to reasons like;
- The topics becomes overly complicated and not suited for the carpentry style introduction
- More experience instructors on the topic needed to deliver the lessons.
- The target audience is more narrow, so would not fit in a general software carpentry workshop
- For example:
- When using git in the real world more details about branches is needed than what is thought in “Version Control with Git”
- Inspired by the Carpenters project and follow Carpentry pedagogy
- Provide the next level lessons (as described before)
- It is funded by Nordic e-Infrastructure Collaboration ( NeIC ) and most instructors are indirectly financed so not a fully voluntary effort
- Lessons are developed with the intention of Carpentries would absorb the teaching material in the future.